Quantcast

Question?

June 12, 2007

Straight Edge on TV

HBO has a show about polygamy called 'Big Love', I've never seen it, but I just saw the posters around New York. Turns out as part of the new season one of the characters is considering joining Straight Edge (because as you all know it's a cult that you join) after being guilty over having sex (based on what I gathered from the synopsis of the episode Reunion, which stars a "Straight Edge Tattoo Artist."

I think having Straight Edge on TV is a good thing, but that is only if it's portrayed properly. I doubt it will as SxE is considered a 'gang' in Utah and is often seen as violent by the media.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I saw this episode last night. It was embarrassing. Not only was straight edge defined in the most strict sense, I got the impression that it was being portrayed as a Frat. Would be members would have to "pledge" straight edge and dress a certain way at "concerts", and once they reach a certain level they would get sXe tattooed on their body.

Beh- Not to mention they referred to straight edge has a righteous path...

phreekk said...

I had a feeling they would have no idea how to properly depict what it meant to be Straight Edge. It's funny how much effort was thrown into other HBO shows like Rome (where they would make sure that simple background objects where perfect replicas of something Roman) but when it comes to this they don't even bother to have spoken to a single Straight Edge person.

Anonymous said...

I don't think that it should be "promoted" on tv at all. The media will never understand what it means because its something that has truth and meaning and all they do is mislead. Edge is always portrayed as a violent gang/group, any time it has been on the news it has been about some kid getting beat or killed by Straight Edge kids, and i've actually heard them say that people need to be cautious of us because we are out to cause harm on others. Straight Edge should be spread through music, where it was started, or by people who actually have their hearts in it.

Thats just my say.

-- alongwill@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

You can watch the episode here:

http://tv-links.co.uk/listings/1/7015

(Episode 3)

phreekk said...

Sarah: Thanx for the link to show. I only watched the tattoo scene. It was enough. I hated how they made it into a "pledge." It reminded me of those silly abstinence pledges that super evangelical kids make.