Quantcast

Question?

June 21, 2009

Doing Too Much at Once

I find myself sometimes doing way too much at once and never getting anything done. At work this seems like a boon and since I'm constantly getting tasked by other's to get things done on pretty crazy schedules I find it easy to switch gears from one task to work on another. But at home I see myself skipping around a lot with out schedules and getting very little done.

I'll start to fold laundry, then remember I needed to take out the trash so I'll do that, then I'll rearange somethings that were cluttered and then realize I forgot to finish folding the laundry and go back to that, get bored and do something else, etc... It goes on like that a lot.

Lately I keep feeling like I may have ADD (Atention Deficit Disorder) but I'm 32 so I'm not sure what can really be done at this stage in my life. I want to be a little more sane when it comes to getting things done instead of switching around all the time and not comleting a lot of tasks that should really have my full attention. Surprisingly I can sit still and write a blog post without much internal distraction, although from what I've read about ADD and ADHD that's common as well. You can hyper-focus on things you truly enjoy or find important. That leaves other things to flounder that have less importance.

In the end it's helped my career, I think my ability to jump from task to task works to my advantage there well. So I wonder if I ever did anything to affect how I am would it make me less productive at work?

2 comments:

pierrethepom said...

This made me laugh, because it sounds just like me! I am also 32, so maybe it's something about our age? Your blogs are very interesting and insightful. Thank you for letting me read your thoughts.

phreekk said...

I'm glad this made you laugh and that you enjoy the blog.