Quantcast

Question?

May 16, 2007

Smoking, the MPAA & the American Lung Association

The MPAA announced that they will give new movies R ratings for showing images of people smoking (however the rating isn't mandatory.) Granted I agree with the American Lung Association that smoking in movies and TV shows is sometimes portrayed as sexy and cool (almost every episode of America's Next Top Model (my girlfriend watches it) shows the models lounging and smoking), but I'm not sure that it warrants an R rating. Definitely no G or PG movie should portray it in a cool way, but what about Cruella Deville, she's certainly not the image of beauty she thinks she is, and the fact that she smokes is a sure indicator of her unatractiveness (pretty much only adults think she's cool.) I think the context and situation should indicate the rating. I don't think an X-Files movie that features the smoking man should automatically be rated R, but if a new Bogart movie was to be shot today any character he would play shouldn't smoke unless it's an R movie. I know that parents are supposed to teach their children right from wrong, but as a country we need to also say that certain things are just not right for anyone.

I would like to know what the rules are for movies that feature alcohol and drunk driving. I'm going to have to do a little research, cause I think that's something that warrants stricter ratings in my opinion when you take into account underage drinking.

Update: I wanted to add something else to this. MOVIE RATINGS ARE NOT CENSORSHIP!!! People can watch any movie they want. Movie ratings only disallow children from viewing certain movies until they are adults and are capable of making decisions for themselves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't think anything should be censored, but it's a problem when it's portrayed someway other than the truth.

Which unfortunately, I see so much, everywhere.


-- alongwill@hotmail.com