Quantcast

Question?

May 24, 2007

When in Rome...Make Your Own Choices

Many people that dislike Straight Edge or SxE people say that we shouldn't push our beliefs on them, that we should not make a statement about what we don't do. I think this is a rather limited and thoughtless way to think. This usually comes about when people talk about music, they feel that SxE bands don't have to talk about not drinking all the time. To me they just don't see their own music for what it is. Just listen to a Dropkick Murphy's album (I love them, so I'm not bashing them, just using them for a demonstration here) or many of today's rap albums and hear the amount of lyrics devoted to drinking and promiscuous sex. But I guess since everyone's doing it then it's okay. When in Rome do as the Romans do, right? Seems to me that when something is right in front of you and it's something you like, you don't notice how often it's slammed down your throat, or how much society tells you that it's okay. It's our choice to be Straight Edge, and when you listen to a SxE band and get annoyed for them saying they're Drug Free, it's your choice to turn it off. The same people that slam SxE are the same people that scream Freedom of Speech when Imus said crap on the radio. If you'd rather listen to people sing about getting drunk or f*cking hos, then that's your business. Me, I'd rather listen to something positive and uplifting, and now I think it's time to listen to some old school Youth of Today.

No comments: