Quantcast

Question?

August 17, 2007

Can You Overdose From Caffeine?

Yes.  As a 17 year old girl from England can attest to, as she drank seven double measures of espresso and began to hyperventilate and have heart palpitations.  Certainly it seems that limiting ones intake of caffeine is a wise idea.  Despite the fact that my own family owns a small coffee shop chain, I've probably only had a half dozen cups in my life.  I still intake caffeine but only in small doses when it's in chocolate or the occasional soda or tea.  I've thought of stopping all together but I feel that the effects on my body with respect to the small doses of caffeine are not quite the same as small doses of alcohol or drugs.  I'd like to know where other people stand on the issue of caffeine and Straight Edge, so drop a comment with your opinion.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm straight edge and i do beleive that not having caffiene is a part of straight edge.

It's kinda hard tho, i miss chocolate :(

Anonymous said...

I think small doses (say in tea, chocolate or certain sodas) aren't a big deal with maintaining your edge. But stuff like coffee, chugging 2liters of mountaindew, or those everpopular energy drinks def. make a big impact on your body because the caffeine doses are so high.

It's def one of those to each his own deals in the sxe community.

Anonymous said...

Caffeine, although a drug, can be consumed as long as you are the one in control not the caffiene. Thats the beauty part of it, your control not its'

JW said...

are you freaking kidding me... "only had a half-dozen cups of it in my life" coffee that is... i drink a half-dozen a day... just as most any other drug, you build a tolerance to it. it's also wise to note that nicotine, say from smoking cigarettes, doubles your body's metabolism of caffeine. this "straight edge" nonsense of avoiding caffeine is just that.. nonsense..

also, read up on the anti-oxidizing benefits of the stuff. (coffee that is..) i find myself defending the beverage and not the substance... but they're often one in the same.. here we are, read this.

http://men.webmd.com/features/coffee-new-health-food

phreekk said...

J0sh, great link from WebMD, I might have to try coffee again, even though I still prefer tea.