Quantcast

Question?

August 31, 2007

Straight Edge and Religion

Straight Edge began secular and eventually became part of many people's religious choices. One of the first connections to Straight Edge and religion came with Hare-Krishna and Krishnacore music. These two choices were brought together by Ray Cappo and Porcel. You can find Christian Straight Edge, such as the band xDEATHSTARx. Utah is home to many Mormon Straight Edge youths. While reading Straightedge Youth: Complexity And Contradictions of a Subculture I was shocked to find the connection between Satanism and Straight Edge, it shouldn't have been to much of a shock really since Satanism and rock have always had connections and SxE and religion are connected as well. Recently I came across a blog started to promote the idea of Muslim Straight Edge which I hope will bring a positive view to a community that already has a law against drinking.

Religion, because of it's laws about restriction and morality have found themselves easily identifiable by many who claim edge. However there is also a strong following in the SxE community to distance themselves from religion. Many believe that religion is a set of laws meant to control, that they aren't choices.

And then there are the outsiders of Straight Edge that believe that we feel we have some sort of moral high ground over them and are comparable to the Christian evangelist that preach down to non-Christians.

I myself am Jewish, and not kosher, and I do not feel my religion has much of an impact on my choice in claiming edge or the choices I make in continuing to live a Straight Edge Life.

My Life. My Choice. My Pride.

No comments: