Quantcast

Question?

October 13, 2008

When the Label Has Gone Mainstream

Straight Edge is now such a huge term that many people simply use it to refer to anyone quite often that doesn't do drugs, smoke or drink. I've seen it commonly used in articles (such as this one about "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist". The term is becoming universal and synonomous with those that abstain from the drugs, etc. How does the use of the phrase outside of the community and when refering to those that haven't officially "claimed" to be Edge effect others that hear it? I imagine that it is actually a good thing, in the end. Certainly it can be used to make fun of others and mock them as being "straight edge" since they don't follow the crowd. But for me I'd rather be mocked for following my choices than be mocked for following other's choices.

To me I see this use as a way to influence other's and show them that there are people that abstain from poisoning one's self. Granted the context will have to be positive in most cases to make it an influencer, but I can see people realizing the positive aspects of such a life even if they don't officially make a claim or get inked.

No comments: