Quantcast

Question?

April 22, 2007

Following?

Some people like to say that being Straight Edge is stupid, because you are just following what some guy said in a song. True, it was just lyrics in a song, i guess it's not as good as words in a book (like the bible) or a speech on a podium (like everyman that did something good or bad for America). I guess lyrics aren't important, and music is a pointless wasted en devour of the mindless youth. But those that say these things are wrong. Yes, it is true that Ian MacKaye never meant to start some worldwide following, but his lyrics rang true with disillusioned youth.

From the start of his words and the label Straight Edge sprang forth many other like minded youths that believed that being clean of body was more important than being so called "punk." It would seem to me that those that believed in the punk lifestyle were just following the trends of being punk and following into the rebellious lifestyle of their parents and the "man." They drank the beer and smoked the cigarettes of huge alcohol and big tobacco corporations, fueling the pockets of the elite while they destroyed their bodies. They did the same things their parents did. Being Straight Edge was something different, it went against the grain, saying "Hey I don't have to be like you."

Sure, everyone that took that claim to be Straight Edge is following the words of someone else now, but wise words are worth listening to. I say it's a smarter man that listens and heads rather than burying his head in the ground just to say I'm not a follower. So get wasted and blacken your lungs (like your friends that pressured you into it in the first place) and believe you are no sheep.

But you see I chose to be Edge for me and at a time when I personally didn't know any one that was still Edge. Now I have friends that claim, but for them it was the same as me, they came to a realization that being poison free was the right choice for them. So I don't write this to say I'm better than you, I write this to say I'm better than I was. I may follow another man's words, but I chose willing with a clear mind to listen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I only ever had a couple of SE friends. I did it for myself and continue to do so.
I don't know any straight edgers, well i am 38. People think i must be a recovering alcoholic or had some problems with drugs because i don't drink.
I haven't touched alcohol since 1987.
I don't miss it, friends got used to it. I don't go to gigs or hangout in punk/ hardcore circles. However one time at a work meeting i met a guy who was straight edge. He was amazed i knew about edge, he was in his early 20's. I think he was shocked that i had been edge 18 years. He told me loads of his friends were losing their edge.
My politics were always left leaning and i always thought SE complimented it.
Even today, i find certain songs are so uplifting. The idea of a Straight Edge lifestyle is a real alternative. Regardless of all the rubbish the governments and health officials spout i do see alcohol and drugs as a way of controlling people.