Quantcast

Question?

September 15, 2007

Straight Edge and the Workplace

At my current job everyone knows I'm Straight Edge and I know that a few people there don't like it. It's caused a few issues with some. They felt I didn't like being around them when they drank or that I didn't like going out to bars with them. Honestly I don't mind it as long as the place is cool. I've never said a bad word about anyone there that drinks.

I'm starting a new job soon and I'm considering not even telling anyone unless it comes up in a very specific situation. It could be like the typical rule that you don't discuss religion and politics at work. My Edge is my own personal decision, but I don't want to feel like I am in any way ashamed of my beliefs because I am not discussing them with others that I will be spending a lot of time with.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I worked overnights at home depot for awhile (not alot of places cool with people having lots of tats & piercings)...At first the crew were kind of dicks about me being edge. the entire staff smoked & almost every fri everyone would hit up this bar together & get trashed. I'd get hassled for not coming. After a few months they quit ragging on me about it & started asking me to be the designated driver (I told 'em I had better things to do then drive drunks home).

With any job I work I never bring it up in topic. I'm proud to be straightedge, but I don't brag. If it comes up specifically I tell people.

Not sure if other straightedgers get this alot, but 75% of the time someone finds out I'm edge they say "That's great!...but I could NEVER do that..." & I always think "yeah, well I could NEVER smoke & get myself fucked up & look like a total ass" haha

PhantomZodak said...

i've learned not to mention it. i usually have other plans anyway when they go to a bar but if i can't get out of it, i just order an oj & cranberry juice. it's pointless for me to talk to them about it.

Anonymous said...

Who cares? I'm in the military. We are breed to be alcoholics. So when everybody goes out and drinks on TDy and I don't who cares. They give me crap who cares. Cause tomorrow at PT when your hung over and struggling to finish the run I will be waiting for you at the finish line. Barely sweating. Edge is a personal choice. I f you think I don't like you because you drink...your an idiot and I don't like you ...not because you drink but because your stupid. same goes if you don't like me cause I'm edge. Where that x on your hand proudly. Then backhand them with it if they give you crap.

Anonymous said...

I'm in the military. We breed alcoholics. Yet it doesn't change the fact that when we have bbq's I still wear edge shirts. Don't go out to the bars with them or anything like that. Wear that x proudly. If someone think sI don't like them guess they drink then guess what I don't like them...not cause they drink but because they are stupid. If people have problems with you cause your edge....screw them. Wear that x on the back of your hand proudly. If someone has a problem backhand them with that same hand.