Quantcast

Question?

February 15, 2008

King Dork

King Dork has been one of the best books I've read in a while. The ending felt a little vague and without a solution but I feel that this was the effect that Frank Portman was going for. Frank "Dr. Frank" Portman from the band the Mr. T. Experience is certainly an author I want to read more from as well as read some of the other books referenced by Tom, he main character. I'm especially interested in reading Brighton Rock now. King Dork reminded of the experience I felt when I was younger and read Then Again, Maybe I Won't by Judy Blume as it ellicted the emotions of a young boy and all experiences you go through so well. I related a lot to how Tom felt, his alienation from the other kids, his isolation inside his own mind and how things sound much better inside than when spoken. When I was Tom's age I wasn't as in to music as he was, but I was definately into D & D (as most young dorks & geeks were, i prefer the term geek myself,) and never understood how to talk to girls either and was interested in codes and Dr. Who. The story tended to drift around as the thoughts flowed from Tom's mind, and it seemed sporadic at times, which helped give the impression of a young kid trying to explain the events of his 10th grade year. The book was a quick read, and by that I mean that I didn't want to put it down ever, except towards the end when I didn't want it to end and wanted to delay that a bit. I can't say enough great things about this book and hope that everyone checks it out.

One great part in the book that I want to mention without spoiling anything is that Tom is always coming up with or thinking about great band names. Along the way he mentions that "Most Precious Blood" would be a great band name. Well of course it would, since MPB is already a great Straight Edge band.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey phreek - thanks a lot for the kind review. Glad you "got" it. cheeers/Dr Frank