Quantcast

Question?

February 8, 2008

Jury Duty

So I got picked today to sit on a Grand Jury for the next two weeks (thankfully 2 of the days are court holidays and you won't be called for jury duty again for eight years if you serve on a grand jury.) They also have free Wi-Fi so I can keep up on my email and work over the hour lunch break we'll get.

On an unrelated note I started reading King Dork (which comes out in paper-back next week) by Frank Portman today figuring that I'd have time while sat in the jury assembly room waiting around to be called. I'm really impressed with the book so far and it really reminds me of my own youth in so many ways. I plan to write a more in depth review of the book when I finish, along with some other neglected reviews of the Out of Step book and some new (well new to me) CDs I recently picked up.

While sitting there in the jury room I started wondering how I'd be able to handle being unbiased when a case could involve drugs or alchohol. I know I'm smart enough to not judge someone outright by those things, but sometimes our choices and judgements are hidden to us. I guess that's part of the reason why we have a jury system, so I can judge people for the ills of their lives, I'm only kidding =)

No comments: