Quantcast

Question?

March 31, 2008

Nat Geo Documentary on Straight Edge

Late last year I was contacted by a guy working on a documentary for National Geographic on the subject of Straight Edge. At first I hoped that they would take it in a positive direction. After dealing with the lies and subterfuge with Rolling Stone covering SxE I knew it wouldn't be a positive story either.

So next Wednesday, April 9th @ 10pm, National Geographic will be airing "Inside Straight Edge" to cover the darker side known as Hate Edge. Sure it exists, sure it is a dark and rough side to the story, but it has been done so many times with never a real mention to the positive and enlightening aspects of a culture that has enriched and empowered so many. I won't make any specific judgments about how biased or open-minded their coverage may be until I actually see this.

They will apparently cover Straight Edge from the point of view of an Ex-Edge Cop in Reno on the gang beat,
Ronen Morris the director of “Boston Beatdown" and a soccer-mom that is struggling with the idea of her child embracing the lifestyle of Straight Edge.

I always hope that things like this will shed positive light on a lifestyle that is very important to me, but I always know that it's not the case when the press gets involved. But we'll see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like they will be having a Q&A with the producer of the film during the airing....might be worth asking about the show.

phreekk said...

Thanx for the info about the Q&A. I added a question to the forum and a bit of a diatribe, we'll see if they respond.