Quantcast

Question?

March 2, 2008

What Straight Edge is NOT!

It's not for everyone. If you are not Edge, that's fine. I accept and respect that, so respect my choice.

It's not about people that are not straight edge. I don't care what you do with your life.

It's not a label, it's a lifestyle. It's not a style or clothing, it's not about what you listen to or where you live or work. It's about how you think and act. We might provide a name for it, but the name is not lifestyle, it's merely a way to identify the act of being.

It's not from California. It's from D.C., from Minor Threat, from hardcore.

It's not about what I don't do, it's about what I DO! I do keep my body clean, I do care about my mind, I do abstain from mind altering drugs. I do listen to hardcore!

It's certainly not anything like not raping or not murdering. I recently read this post online and have to say something about it for the sake of people understading not only what SxE is but simple concepts like similarity and difference, that are apparently being lost on the youth of the public school systems these days. SxE is about being free of posions that normal people find acceptible in everyday life. Drinking, smoking and drugs are common and accepted by most Americans. Rape is not accepted by most Americans. What's wrong with identifying one's self by what they don't do? Vegans and Vegitarians do this. And like the last point it is simple enough to say I am SxE by what I do, and just what I don't do. And yes, SxE with saying so is about not raping and murdering as I hope most able minded people are.


It is about MY LIFE, MY CHOICE, MY PRIDE!

2 comments:

xSophiasaurusx said...

I could quite possibly be talking to a wall since straight edge is just about YOU, but I disagree with your statement "It's not about people that are not straight edge."

I don't believe as as Edge kid, I should walk around forcing my views upon other people, but I DO believe that it's just as much about spreading the positive message of SOCIAL CHANGE and ACCEPTANCE for not smoking, drinking, and fucking... as much as it's about keeping your own body pure and clean. I don't believe Straight Edge is meant to be as self righteous as you are portraying it, and unfortunately the way a LOT of people portray it.

I'm getting the impression that many edge kids portray it in this fashion because we're conditioned to have our guard up due to criticism... still I believe regardless if we get criticized we can't be afraid to stand up and say.. this isn't just for me.... this is for my peers... this is for this society.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not human lover, in fact I can't stand our kind. But that is exactly why I am Straight Edge- I hate what I see. And through being straight edge I hope I open some eyes as well.


That's what Striaght Edge is to ME. This is not a dis on you. This is just me expressing my views since you expressed yours in your post. Good post in any case. :)

Sophia

phreekk said...

Thanx for your comment. But I don't think SxE is just about ME, and I'm certainly not self righteous about it.

This post was supposed to be about how people don't understand what it means, especially those that are not Straight Edge.

It was also to explain that it's personal to me and that I am proud to be edge. I'm not the kind of person to shove it in people's faces and tell them they are wrong. Many people seem to think that having an edge tattoo or clothing is a person's way of pushing it on other's, but I was just trying to indicate that for me it's who I am, so respect it.