Quantcast

Question?

October 1, 2006

Mall Edge

So I was out in Pennsylvania last week and with out much to do I went to the mall, after waiting around to borrow a car. I definitely love the advantage of the public transportation system in New York. This mall like many across the nation has a Hot Topic. I have nothing against Hot Topic, most people seem to be bothered by their corporate selling of punk merchandise, but to be honest without Hot Topic many of today's punk and hardcore bands would not be as popular. And popularity for them means money and the chance to continue doing what they love to do and we love to listen to. It's a vicious cycle that feeds itself.

I was very pleasantly surprised to find a wicked Straight Edge Varsity jacket on the rack at Hot Topic. They actually have a bit of a collection of SxE Merch, hopefully this means that the scene is building and more people are seeing it as something worth being a part of and not something that's a fashion thing. I hope to actually see more of this and can't wait to see someone wearing that jacket or anything else SxE when I'm out at a show or just on the street.




2 comments:

phreekk said...

There are always those that ruin any group, think about the punk and hardcore scenes in general which is full of those that ruin it, such as the skinheads.

I'd hate for posers to buy SxE clothing to make fun it, but that just might bring out more militant edgers that will beat down crap like that. I'm not exactly one to be violent but I'd certainly be pissed as hell if I saw someone with an SxE shirt on and smoking.

If your friends in denver have a web site for their clothing company post the link here or msg me on myspace.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you will see people wearing Drug Free clothing while smoking cigs or drinking, because Drug Free isn't Straight Edge, it's just Drug Free.