Quantcast

Question?

August 25, 2008

Straight Edge isn't about the Music

So basically this post is a response to a post I found on AbsolutePunk.net about loosing faith in music. The author stated a lot reasons why he doesn't feel that music these days, and by that the bands themselves, are creating music that's worth listening to or travelling a long ways to see. I can see that, I feel that many bands changed to be like other bands, to make money (which honestly as much as that sucks, they got rich or tried and little kids cried over it cause they "sold out") or cause they changed their opinions on music. As much as I hate when a band changes and I don't like the outcome there are enough bands that I love too that changed for the better. I think AFI grew a lot and Eighteen Visions changed for the worse. Gorilla Biscuits broke edge then broke up, and eventually morphed into Civ, which is okay but isn't GB.

But the one thing that struck me from this post was that the author claimed that the music changed and he lost faith in that and broke edge. I see Straight Edge as a life choice that was made possibly through music but not something that is controlled by music. Straigth Edge came from a scene as a means to be part of music and a way to express one's descisions to be poison free. I got the feeling that the author felt that SxE was a fashion statement that he no longer wanted to wear cause everyone else decided to dress emo.

So my point is that SxE isn't about the music, it's about you. If the music changes and you decide to get drunk cause of it, don't blame the music.

2 comments:

The Way of All Flesh said...

[nods in agreement]

The Way of All Flesh said...

[nods in agreement]