Quantcast

Question?

September 3, 2008

Straight Edge and Politics

The recent Gov Palin pregnant daughter situation to me is a perfect example of the so-called right claiming moral high ground gone awry. This would be equivalent to a SxE person having casual sex and still claiming edge. To me I see this situation as a reason why the Republicans can't claim their moral high ground any longer as they continue to be hypocrites.

I've been thinking lately about what it means to be Straight Edge and how that affects one's political view points. With SxE lifestyle having a somewhat conservative viewpoint but derived from the liberal punk/hardcore world how does a SxE person view the political spectrum? Being SxE isn't about projection of morals it's about being poison free. I see that the conservative views of SxE fit within the Progressive/Liberal/Democratic spectrum of political views.

A SxE person is about protecting themselves, the Democratic party is about that as well through views such as Pro-Choice, Education, and actually helping the Environment. I can see some people making a statement that Pro-Choice isn't exactly aligned with SxE because the idea of casual sex is what would lead some towards solutions such as abortion. However there are more situations such as the mother's health or age, rape or incest and her own personal decisions that outweigh any a government would like to apply. Education is certainly a SxE view as we have taken the initiative to educate ourselves on what poisons our bodies and should continue to educate ourselves and others on what poisons others and our Earth. That leads me to the environment and working towards a poison free Earth, something that the Republican party is obviously against with such inept plans as their so called Clean Air Act and their desire to be a nation of oil consuming conglomerates.

Punks tend to be within the middle class and the Democratic party tends to skew towards protecting the middle class. Sure, we've seen Democrats raise taxes, and taxes suck and always will, but they go towards things like public schools and social services programs which help out those in need (whether people take advantage of them improperly is a different issue.) Democrats have made mistakes, but they also have brought our country some of the best economic situations we've ever had. A Democrat will bring home our military (sure it won't be immediately, but it won't be in a hundred years like the Republican plan) and won't let the National Guard forget about protecting our nation during attacks from Mother Nature.

I feel like I just ranted a bit and probably went a little off track here and there, but I honestly think that people need to be more aware of politics and SAY NO TO MORAL HYPOCRITES IN GOVERNMENT like Palin and McCain. For me Obama is right for America and right for SxE (okay that sounds a little funny, but it's what I feel.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this is an older post & we all know how the election turned out...but

One thing kinda funny just occured to me while reading what you wrote. From people I've met over the yrs & people I know, I noticed nearly all punks/hardcore kids are liberals. It's really confusing to me. If you're part of a counter-culture that promotes individualism & free thought as well as antiauthority attitudes, why would you pick a narrowminded political side & get behind a presidential candidate? It's baffling to me & there is a slight odor of hypocracy.

Anyone can argue the differences but really a demo or repub just wants to get in office. They don't care about the individual citizen (no matter how much they tell you they do) because they're not an everyday person. People got behind obama's hype because they figured mccain was just bush again. but honestly where is the 'change' in this new administration. he's got half of clinton's old staff. demo or repub there is never any change. the IRS still stands. we pay our taxes. there is still a class system...we still ship aid across the world when we have poor & homeless in OUR streets.

I am proudly straight edge & detest the left & the right. We can pick 20 different soft drink flavors but when it comes to a president it always comes down to two. two people who kissed enough ass to get that high up in government. that's bullshit to me & the fact that the punks side with the hippies is too.

phreekk said...

gravexrob:

I know what you are saying, every politician running for President and higher offices have their own agendas. But the main point I tried to make here is that I'm sick of the Right Wing screwing with our country (they claim to be morally right, they send poor kids to die in foreign countries, they steal from the poor with tax breaks for the super rich; the list it goes on.) Mostly I was just pissed with how George W made America into a Fascist state.

But I do think that Obama will be able to do some good for the country. Clinton was a good President and did a lot to help out America. Change isn't always a complete and new direction. Having some old Clinton staffers isn't a big deal, they have experience and understand the machine.

He's only been in office for a little bit, but I think the fact that he's doing things like repealing the stem cell research legislation and putting dates on closing Guantanamo that he's working towards a goal of change.

We'll have to see, but I'm optimistic.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate what you are trying to say, but straight edge should not be put into the same category as politics and government. I am straight edge, and I have anarchist views. Straight edge has nothing to do, with the republican party, or democratic party, and I know that's not really what you're saying, but it's like when people put religion and straight edge together. I know a lot of people who are straight edge and do not believe in a God. I do believe in God, but that is not why I chose to be straight edge at all, in fact I'm not all that religious.
When you talk about education, I don't think it matters whether you are straight edge or not. There can be someone who is edge and doesn't believe in that education. So when you say, "Education is certainly a SxE view as we have taken the initiative to educate ourselves on what poisons our bodies and should continue to educate ourselves and others on what poisons others and our Earth." It sounds as if you are speaking for everyone. I of course believe education is right, this is just an example, but what I am trying to say is that you cannot speak for everybody.

gravexrob said...

I think I'd vote for 'Anonymous' for president over obama based on his post :P

I agree with him: you can't speak for everyone. Lumping one broad belief with straight edge doesn't work. His god example was a good one. Just in this blog thread there's 3 diff straight edge people with 3 diff views on religion. The edge has no religious mandates.

I believe I read you said before that you're vegan. That's cool if that choice makes you happy & fits you. I myself, really enjoy eating meat (I only buy organic). I've heard people say you can't be edge & eat meat. To me, that's laughable. Straight edge means no promiscuity, no drugs/booze/etc. Outside of that, whatever people try to lump into it is just excess.

Anyway I digress. I don't think obama or anyone else is going to make things better. I can't put my faith in a political figure, ever. Was clinton helping our country when he was taking campaign contributions from china or getting BJs on our time? If I did that at my job I'd be fired on the spot. bush & cheney obviously made out like robbers too. then you've got that famous picture of obama out there smoking pot. These are our 'leaders?' ... It makes me ill.

Anyway, keep blogging. I know myself & others appreciate any & all straight edge stuff out here on the web. Even though we disagree on alot of things we can still laugh at the 'bros' getting wasted at the university keggers. seizing their 'education'

Anonymous said...

Personally, I am edge and I am a Republican because I agree with the party's values. Now, I am often ashamed to be called a Republican because it seems the party has no backbone to stand up to Obama's policies, but thats a different story. In fact, one of the reasons I am edge is because of my Christian faith. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 says "Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price: therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's."
But thats just my two cents.

-Jon

Anonymous said...

I am not by any means "straight edge" simply because some of my behaviors do not live up to that ideal. I do have sobriety working quite well and on that foundation I am trying to build a better life for myself and community for all of us. All around me I see institutionalised corruption and deceit...particularly in the arena of duopoly politics. I see the illusion of conflict used to draw people into participating in this as blue or red party faithful. I don't see the SxE in either party. I wish all who pursue this lifestyle good fortune and I admire your honesty and sincerity...I just dont see our duopolists as a good expression of these values. A desire to vote for honest candidates has led me to third parties. Just sayin. Respek and all that jazz. Mike/Cali.