Quantcast

Question?

July 21, 2006

Hip-Hop Straight-Edge


So while searching the net for the BBC documentary I mentioned previously in a nice little download form I came across something that totally blew me away. Hip-Hop Straight Edge music that I like, by a band called superXcontra. To be honest I tend to prefer punk and I rarely listen to Hip-Hop unless it's the Beastie Boys or mc chris. But the fact that these guys' lyrics are straight-edge and the beats are melodic and the rhyms don't sound lame or silly. I'm also happy to come across SxE music that is not hardcore. I always try to look for music that breaks boundaries and this definitely has and with talented artists as well.

Despite some violent tones in the lyrics they have a positive spin. They sing against the way current rap stars promote drinking and buying super expensive clothes and such. I love these lines:

but you you worried bout ya fashions and ya brand name clothes / a bottle of kris goes for 2-3 hundred dollas / that's like six weeks of food if you one ta spread out them dollas / gone in sixty seconds if you at the right party / 80 bottles gettin bled some gettin poured on all the shortys / insane in the brain now the blood's on ya hands

So I ordered their album for $5 and it comes with the BBC documentary that I was looking for originally. I hope the rest of the tracks are as good as the ones I downloaded.

"Straight Edge is a promise I'll take to my grave" from the song NVRSCRD

5 comments:

sk8edge said...

Reminds me of the 1st hip hop sxe band called Fort Knox...

Anonymous said...

Check out xReignOfTerrorx wich is, according to me, the best sxe hiphop band ever ;) http://www.myspace.com/xreignofterrorx

chris said...

check out promoe from sweden. he's edge n vegan. his band looptroop isnt, but he does lotsa solo stuff. and the lyrics are great...

Anonymous said...

Naj One AKA FOEKUS/Foeknawledge is straight edge x vegan. good lyrics."Political talkin' - the system won't stop me - I'm the straight edge hip-hop Noam Chomsky." True hip hop, not glitz and glam hip POP.

k said...

Check out Promoe - Long Distance Runner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er1oj0tZiHQ

Vegan sXe hip hop