Quantcast

Question?

July 23, 2006

Why Hardcore shows are better than any other kind

Hardcore shows have energy and so much heart. You can feel the excitement and the energy (and smell the sweat, not a plus at all but it shows you the energy if you couldn't already feel it) when your at a show and especially in the pit. Yesterday I skipped going to the hardcore Matinee at ABC No Rio, which I haven't been to in a bit cause of other stuff, to go out to Long Island to visit with some friends and go see Fiona Apple. Now don't get me wrong, I don't just listen to Hardcore music, but as the years go on I get more and more into Hardcore. Damien Rice went on before Fiona, I really don't know his music, but if he had someone screaming out background vocals during a few songs I would've felt more at home. Plus the whole arena thing just sucks, the Jones Beach Theatre is neat since it's on the water but it's too damn big and the acoustics sucked of course.

When crazy Fiona got on stage we snuck down to closer seats since half the place was empty with the on/off rain all day. Fiona could scream in a Hardcore or Post-Hardcore Screamo band if she wanted, she's got a great raspy voice when shes screams (her singing voice is much more sweet) almost like Brody Dalle (formerly Armstrong) of the Distillers. So I really do love Fiona's new CD, the old jazz era sounding vibes are great, a definite diversion from the Champion and Comadre (a band I saw at ABC No Rio a few weeks back) discs that I've been spinning in my iPod lately. Now I did enjoy the show (er..concert I guess since it's not punk or hardcore) and loved how she danced like someone from an insane asylum. At one point while talking to the crowd she actually said "Shut up Fiona" and hit her head on the side with both open hands, then said "Jesus Christ" and started playing the piano again.

So despite sitting in a wet seat still a few hundred feet away I enjoyed the experience, but there is nothing at all like being 3 feet from a stage in a pit and feeling the heat and energy put out by the band and the kids around you. Next weekend I have friends that want to go to the zoo in Central Park, I wanted to go but I heard the gay penguins broke up, so I'm not sure I still want to go cause I really really need to be in a pit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I definitely feel you man. Being involved in hardcore is the best feeling of this world. There are those shows in-particular, as you mentioned, that have hit my head and heart so strongly that I've felt inspired and everything negative in my life has dissipated at that moment. Have Heart was definitely one of those.


- alongwill@hotmail.com