Quantcast

Question?

July 29, 2006

Best deal under a dollar

Ska Punk is not dead! 99 Cents (or less) put on a great set at ABC No Rio today. Of the four bands that played tonight they were the best and the most fun. I haven't skanked in sooooo long that I had to get in the pit for them. They even did a killer punk cover of La Bamba! The lead singer really got into the show and they brought up a large crowd of their local fans, so that made the place and the pit way more fun. This one guy did not stop dancing the whole set, I don't think he ever got tired. They're from NJ so I hope to see them again soon. The mp3s on their site and the ones from StereoKiller seem to be broken, hopefully they'll fix them soon cause I didn't see any of their CDs at the merch table.

A little bonus to boot, I picked up a CD by Carpenter Ant before the show, they had played ABC last fall. The interesting thing is that I went to high school with the lead singer Roy Carnage (aka Ray Gurz). It's a funny thing too, cause a few weeks ago I was wondering what the hardcore scene was like back in the Lehigh Valley. I searched around for stuff on old hardcore bands of friends I knew. Ray once did vocals for the SxE band Grow, and some other friends were in Blindside (not the same band that currently goes by that name). So I came across the Capenter Ant website and a few forums that talked about the local scene and such. So C.A. is a pretty good skatecore band, they seem like a lot fun. They did their most recent show in June, but I hope they'll come up to NY soon. I emailed ray to see what their shows are, I'll give a review of them once I finally see them live.

No comments: