Quantcast

Question?

September 20, 2008

The High-Fructose War

The Corn Refiners Association is fighting back against people learning about the ill effects of High-Fructose Corn Syrup with commercials like this one:



The evidence is piling up, with some of it not so well defined yet, as it relies on animal testing. But the tests are there and the results aren't that great. It may lead to diabetes. The Mayo clinic suggests that it may also lead to high cholesterol.  An article in the San Francisco Chronicle mentions that the USDA suggests Americans reduce their intake of foods with added sugar.

Whether it's simply the addition of high fructose corn syrup alone or all the refined and unnatural sugars in the American diets, it is quite clear that a reduction of artificial and refined sugars can improve your diet. I personally have been reducing as much of this as possible, I've moved from fake pancake syrup to the natural kind from New Hampshire, I try to only eat snack foods such as Nature Valley Roasted Nut Crunch bars that only contain corn syrup (and nuts of course.) Making the effort in your life to reduce the "poison" you intake will help you live a healthy and Poison Free life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alright HFCS is evil, anything that processed and if you just read the labels so freaking unhealthy is bad..

Now I have a question for you thats related, (kind of a stretch but many HFCS products cantain) Caffeine.

Is it bad? Edge break? a drug? a stimulant? I am just looking to ask other SxE kids, and I found and liek your blog so help me out?

phreekk said...

I personally feel that caffeine is okay. I certainly wouldn't take too much since you can overdose. Caffeine is a natural part of many normal and healthy foods, and when taken in natural unmodified dosages is not something that I think would break edge. Many others have their own ideas of what is and is not edge.

Anonymous said...

I gave it up a while back, the withdraw is actually fairly viscious..

However tea, natural, brewed tea, is in all respects healthy and most accounts tasty.. So I drink it again, plus a Mountain Dew is comforting on a bad day (drinking them since I was 4)... I didn't know there was another post thanks!

I think I like it here!

Anonymous said...

Big C says....Read Michael Pollan's book "In Defense of Food" I think you'll find it interesting how the imitation food manufacturers use nutritionism to manipulate us into buying there products. Big Pharma is on board and look forward to selling us drugs when we become diabetic.

"Eat Food, not too much, mostly plants" -- Michael Pollan

Catherine said...

It can also lead to insulin resistance and other health problems accord to Dr. Mercola's articles. I rather not try products with HFCS just to keep me and my family safe and healthy.