Quantcast

Question?

August 12, 2006

Fugazi-esque in Brooklyn


The North6 basement in Brooklyn was host to a damn good set by the band Gunners. Unfortunately the band that played before them almost made me want to leave. That first band Goddamit was so bad that it seemed that none of them were playing the same song and apparently had never picked up an instrument before that night.

I went to the show last night was to see Gunners. I had met the lead singer/bass player at ABC and figured I'd check out his new band. They were very tight, and sounded great despite the poor acustics of the North6 basement. You could certainly hear the Fugazi influence, but Dima was already forthcoming about sounding Fugazi-like when we spoke. And I like Fugazi so I'm certainly not one to complain, but at the same time they had their own sound as well. Their first song was great, Dima stood with his back to crowd and the three-piece shouted the lyrics without mics. They had one slowed down song that had style but I felt took away from the rest of the really well put together set.

I didn't end up staying to see the other bands, one of them on Revelation Records, but hopefully I'll have a chance again if they're good and as long as Goddamit isn't on the band list that night.

update: I just found the flyer for the show and thought I'd put it up here with the post.

No comments: