Quantcast

Question?

August 5, 2006

You've always loved music by SxE artists and never knew it

So it's shortly after 5pm, on Thursday, work is almost completely dead. A few of us are sitting around chatting. The subject of music comes up, I talk about hardcore and the punk show I went to last weekend. And people's eyes act all funny when I bring up the word "skank." So I explain what it means. And then I'm asked to demonstrate, which of course at work would seem completely embarrassing to do. However I'm always more than happy to make an ass out of myself, (something I certainly never needed alcohol to do,) and I put on some ska from my iPod. I started out facing the wall got into the beat and started to skank for my friends.

After my recital we talked a bit more and Straight Edge came up. I told my one friend about superXcontra and he was surprised to know that there was SxE rap. I played the CD and he was blown away. I then let him borrow it. After that I told him that there were others, XReignOfTerrorX and Sage Francis. He completely flipped when he heard about Sage. He's been listening to him for a while now. What's even funnier, is that earlier that day he made a comment that he love the video Dance, Dance by Fall Out Boy (something that definitely surprised me to hear) so I had to surprise him, and a few other Fall Out Boy fans at work, by telling them that Pete Wentz the lead singer was SxE.

It's very cool how musicians that my friends like and admire are SxE. I kind of wish that these artists made it more known, but that's their personal reason. But I'm glad to be able to shed this light on them, and maybe they'll think about SxE with more respect and understanding and maybe even interest next time they listen to Fall Out Boy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sage Francis is so coool.. I found out that he is a vegan sXe and I was like hell yeah!!! some great writing.. and great rapping..