Quantcast

Question?

August 22, 2006

Why Punks are better people

Not exactly better in all ways, but I feel like they are more real than most people. One example is respect, now you'll say Punks aren't nice. However the point I'm getting at is not about being nice but showing respect, respect for themselves, people, the planet, animals, everything. Punks make choices in their lives that effect themselves and others in ways many people ignore and disrespect.

Choices such as becoming Straight Edge or Vegan and respecting your body. Choices like being part of PETA and Food Not Bombs that respect animals and the less fortunate. Choices like supporting Iraq Veterans Against the War (started by an ex-marine and working class punk, and my best friend Mike Hoffman)that respect our military and the world around us.

Even simple yet telling displays of respect are seen in the mosh pit. I've been kicked in the head and punched while moshing. But everytime it happened the other guy would apologize, cause it wasn't meant on purpose, shit happens in the pit. When you get knocked down in the pit, more often than not you don't even hit the ground, four people around you will scoop you back up on to your feet in seconds. That's respect.

Now to the reason I wrote this post about respect. I was in the subway this morning like most mornings, and everyone is rushing. This large guy is coming towards me and I try to make room where I can and he SLAMS his shoulder right into me like a linebacker. WTF! I turn and say "sorry" even though it wasn't my fault, cause that's just the right thing to do. He didn't even turn or utter a word. Now that is the perfect display of disrespect. That's why Punks are better people.

No comments: