Quantcast

Question?

September 4, 2006

Threatening

Threat is a super low budget film about the streets of New York and centered around the life of Jim a homeless 20's something and his Straight Edge friends. I personally would've appreciated a more positive view of SxE than the "One Less Drunk" crew, but at the same time, there truly is that aspect of SxE in reality. Many of us do feel there needs to be one less drunk around.

I enjoyed the dialog in first half that brought out the characters and even had a slightly Clerks like vibe. But I felt it was too drastically different from the violence infused second half. The violence of the second half was graphic, jarring and felt realistic. The fight that stemmed the violence seemed to start completely out of nowhere and lead to extreme acts of violence upon innocents that didn't make sense to me.

I liked the hand drawn comic transitions through out and thought it helped bring a very indie feel to the film. Now the thing that got me most was the final scene with Jim and Kat on the street. I thought it was very thought provoking and really should have been the point of the film. The fight and struggle of the working class should be brought to the level of the upper class, so that they will take notice.

As a side note there are also 2 soundtracks for the movie. The one I appreciate the most is Threat: Music that Inspired the Movie which is a unbelievable mash up of great straight edge hardcore with industrial and hip-hop flare. It's truly a masterpiece and worth owning whether you liked the film or not.

No comments: